These pottery businesses supply our beautiful hand painted ceramics.
The Fakhoury’s come from a long line of potters and, in fact, the name Fakhoury even means “potter” in Arabic. Their shop is located in the old city of Hebron where Israeli soldiers and settlers routinely physically and verbally harass Palestinians. Despite the difficulties, the family is determined to keep their store open and their craft alive.
The Karakashian studio in Jerusalem continues the family tradition that began in 1922 when Megerditch Karakashian came to Jerusalem to help renovate the Dome of the Rock. All the motifs are traditional designs - birds, peacocks, gazelles, fish and various floral patterns. Each piece is hand painted with a hand made brush. First, the black is painted on to give the design its outline, and then the colors are filled in. After the wares are colored, they are hand dipped in a clear glaze and fired.
The Ceramic Laboratory in the small Palestinian village of Nisf Jubeil is part of the Mosaic Centre Jericho network. It is located in a beautifully restored traditional building (complete with guest house), just at the edge of the village in a green and hilly countryside. The laboratory aims at reviving the traditional pottery and ceramic handicraft in Palestine through training and education.